Sagmeister (1962) designed some amazing album covers for artists as diverse as Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones, OK Go and Jay Z. But what we think is even more amazing, are the things he has learned in his life so far. He published these lessons all over the world; as billboards, projections, magazine spreads, fashion brochures, and even as giant inflatable monkeys. All 20 lessons were also presented in a book and exhibition. Because we think these are lessons we all should learn, we wrote them down below. Listen and repeat:
1. Helping other people helps me.
2. Having guts always works out for me.
3. Thinking that life will be better in the future is stupid. I have to live now.
4. Organizing a charity group is surprisingly easy.
5. Being not truthful always works against me.
6. Everything I do always comes back to me.
7. Assuming is stifling.
8. Drugs feel great in the beginning and become a drag later on.
9. Over time I get used to everything and start taking for granted.
10. Money does not make me happy.
11. My dreams have no meaning.
12. Keeping a diary supports personal development.
13. Trying to look good limits my life.
14. Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doses.
15. Worrying solves nothing.
16. Complaining is silly. Either act or forget.
17. Everybody thinks they are right.
18. If I want to explore a new direction professionally, it is helpful to try it out for myself first.
19. Low expectations are a good strategy.
20. Everybody who is honest is interesting.
The Pod Sessions is an initiative of our Strawberry Earth Academy fellows of De Vorm. This Dutch office furniture brand creates products by the standards of design, like The Pod chairs. These are privacy chairs for breakout areas, made from PET Felt. They look incredibly good, plus they increase the sensation of privacy within a large or crowded space…