I'm head over heels in love with a very special place in Portugal: Herdade da Matinha. Thanks to a friendly Portugese guy who I met in a coffee bar in Lisbon, I found this hidden gem in the beautiful Alentejo region of the country.
This summer was the first time I was able to enjoy an amazing holiday together with my boyfriend AND our one-and-a-half year old daughter. And boy- did she enjoy it!
- After driving along a long bumpy road through fields with horses, you enter a beautiful garden full of fig trees (that you can pluck and eat from - yum!) and a colorful home
- The lovely people running Herdade are already expecting you, together with their cute dog called Buneka and they all make you feel at home instantly
- The smell of fig trees, eucalyptus, the ocean, freshly baked bread and brewed coffee
- No traffic, no noise, no phones ringing, just beautiful nature
- An untouched coastline with amazing beaches nearby where you can surf, swim or just enjoy the view
- Beautifully designed, cosy rooms with very comfy beds and artwork from the owner Alfredo
- A great restaurant with delicious organic and local food. The motto of the chef comes from painter Paul Gauguin: "Pour cuisiner, il faut: une tête légère, un coeur large et un esprit généreux. "
- Waking up with the birds singing and going to bed with the comforting sound of crickets and a stunning black sky sprinkled with stars
Ready to back your bags?
When my little girl was impressed by the bright moon at night (she tried to reach for it!) I've decided that we HAVE TO go back next year!
See you soon Herdade da Matinha!